Customizing the smartphone is fun. If you have a rooted phone, you can easily customize your phone’s software navigation buttons. For some custom ROMs have this ability built-in, for normal phones you can change by using the SoftKeyZ app.
The app comes with more than 150+ different soft-buttons to customize your phone. There are text buttons and fancy buttons available preloaded. To use this app, your phone must be rooted, and Busy Box installed. It is an awesome app to customize your smartphone. The app is available on the Play Store for $2.
Download SoftKeyZ. | $2
You can take away everything an Android phone is equipped with, but there’s one thing you can’t take away from it… It’s the ability to be customized to suit a user’s needs and preferences.
By the way, here’s how to change the Keyboard on your Android phone.
This guide shows you how to change the navigation buttons on your android phone using an application known as SoftkeyZ – it costs just about $2 on the Google Play Store.
Your device needs to be rooted for the app to work.
Make sure you backup your device before using SoftkeyZ
- Download and install the app from the Google Play Store. Launch it.
- A screen will appear showing you how to use the app. Tap on anywhere on the screen to bring up a pop-up.
- Tap “Continue” on the pop-up screen.
- Choose any of the navigation button types displayed on the screen. When you’re done, tap the “mark” icon to the top-left corner of the screen, and your phone will reboot. You will see the new app navigation keys you chose.
To return to the default navigation buttons,
- Follow steps 1 to 3 above, then tap the “Apply Backup” button on the top part of the screen.
- The phone will reboot and return to the default navigational buttons.
If you’d like to bring the Google Pixel New Customization features to your device, then you should check out the guide below.
Owing to the fact that new Google Pixel phones have been touted to come with new navigation keys which the Android Nougat device doesn’t even have, some Android developers started rolling out themes that will feature this navigation buttons for other Android versions. One theme will work with a rooted Android device 6.0 and above while the other will work on other Android devices with CyanogenMod 12 or 13.
Here’s how to install this new navigation keys on your device.
- Download and install the Layers Manager (requires root access).
- If you installed the Layers Manager, then download and install the N Navbar Layers Pro from the PlayStore. Launch it.
- Launch the Layers Managers app > select “N Navbar” > scroll to the bottom of the page and toggle the “Switch Next” to “General Overlays” > tap the floating action button on the bottom-right corner of your screen. Press “OK” when prompted and reboot your device.
After the reboot, your navigation buttons will look the same as that on the rumored pixel phones save for the fact that it won’t have any form of animation.
- Download and install Cyanogen Mod 12 or 13 on your device.
- Install the N Nav Bar CM12/13 theme engine from the Google Play Store
- After installation, tap on the notification icon > tap on the floating action button on the bottom right corner of the screen that appears.
- Your navigation buttons will change within a few seconds (no reboot is required).
These aforementioned methods work on devices with the navigation buttons integrated into the lower half of the screen.