We have seen upcoming technology trends in fantasy movies. Samsung already introduced gesture control based smart televisions and smartphones. Using gestures you can change channel and volume adjustment all is done by moving your hand.
Like same way Flowton Technologies from Toronto, Canada started Flowton project and showcased in Kickstarter. It is a pretty awesome future realistic project, you can operate your entire home just by wavering your hand.
Technology Behind Flowton
Flowton unit is a device built for advanced Human Computer Interaction (HCI). The technology is purley based on Natural Interface (NI), means your body is the universal controller to all electronic devices in your home. It replaces switches, buttons and other traditional remote, just use your hands, body and voice to execute commands.
How It Works?
The Flowton is built with 2 microphones and one RGB Camera. Once you perform any gesture or sound it captures the image or sound and converts into command.
The user interface is a empty space and your hand. To change the TV channel raise your wrist up and do a leftward swipe, to increase thermostat temperature just say “Bedroom Thermostat UP 5 degrees”.
The speech recognition is based on an offshoot of Julius (Japanese open-source large vocabulary CSR engine) and is capable of recognizing key words necessary for TV, lights and other devices. It can analyze command is coming from TV or any other area, it uses active sound canceling.
- It connects with devices like Thermostat, Cell phone, Game Consoles, Kitchen appliances by Bluetooth.
- Infrared for TV, DVD, Blu-Ray, Hi-Fi systems and stereo systems.
- PC, Tablets, Laptops and Smartphone by using Wi-Fi.
- For home automation systems, alarm systems, home security, access control (garage doors) it uses ZigBee automation.
- When you buy Flowton Extended bundle you’ll get one Smart Plug. Smart Plug is useful for devices without any connectivity options. Like lamp, fan, iron, coffee machine, alarm clock, radio, Christmas decorations.
- 1.7 GHz processor
- 2GB of RAM
- 640×480 VGA RGB camera @ 60 fps
- 2 microphones
- 8GB of flash storage
- WiFi 802.11
- Ubuntu OS
The developer is very confident about this project and already raised $6,560 when I am writing this article. You can back this project from $1 minimum, thirty days remaining( Sep 24) with a goal of $150,000.
Visit official Flowton Site.