The first decade of the 21st century gave birth to a lot of technological advancements, many of which revolved around the internet and computers. The birth of the Mkv (Matroska Video Files) file format in Russia in 2002 is a typical example. We aren’t studying the history of Mkv files, rather we’d like to see how we can convert Mkv to mp4. Mkv files aren’t generally accepted by industry names like iTunes, the fact that Mkv is open source notwithstanding.
Convert MKV to MP4 using VLC Media Player
Luckily, there’s one media player that can both play and help you convert your Mkv files without wincing, and it’s the VLC Media Player.
- Download and install VLC Media Player from VideoLAN.
- Launch the app, navigate to the menu bar and click on “Media” > Convert/Save > Click on the “File” tab > Add.
- Choose the Mkv file you’d like to convert to mp4 > Click on the “Open” button > Convert/Save.
- Select the Video – H.264 + mp3 (MP4) option under the “Profile” section and choose a destination folder to save the converted file under the “Destination” section.
- Click Start, and wait while VLC smoothly converts your Mkv video into mp4.
Convert using online converters
- Visit CloudConvert. Navigate to select files on the page > choose the file > Tick the “Notify me when it is finished” box to get a desktop notification if conversion is complete > Start conversion. Download your mp4 when the conversion is complete.
- Visit aConvert. Click on the “Choose File” button and select your Mkv file > leave the target format as mp4 > don’t change anything else in the options > Click on Convert Now and wait to download your converted file.
- Visit OnlineConvert. Select the “Choose File” button > upload your file > click on the “Convert file” button > wait and download your file free of charge.
Convert using Movavi Video Converter
Download and install the Movavi Video Converter.
- Launch the application. Click on the “Add media” button on the menu bar > Select and add video.
- Choose mp4 as your output format > specify the destination folder to save your file.
- Click on the “Convert” button and exercise patience while the file gets converted.
Convert using Xilisoft MKV Converter
Download and install the Xilisoft MKV Converter.
- Launch the app and navigate to the add files button > choose the Mkv.
- On the profile section, click the drop-down icon and select MP4-MPEG-4 Video.
- Select a destination folder for your converted file.
- Click on the Convert button and wait for your file to convert. The convert button turns green when the conversion is done.
Convert using Handbrake on Windows
This isn’t the handbrake in our vehicles, rather, it’s a free conversion software for Windows. Download and install it from here.
- Launch the application.
- Navigate to and click on the “Source” tab below the menu bar > File > select the Mkv file you’d like to convert > Open.
- Under the “Destination” section, Click on the “Browse” button > enter the file name for saving the file > select Save.
- Under the output settings, make sure the MP4 option is chosen by clicking the drop down arrow and selecting MP4.
- Click the “Start” tab under the menu bar and your file conversion will begin, while the progress shows in percentage.
Upon completion of the conversion, the converted file is saved to the folder you specified. We hope this guide helped you to convert MKV to MP4.