A peek into the world of file formats presents a picture of a thousand and one file extension formats that abound, many of which may not be supported by our devices. The challenge posed by the inability of most file formats to be accepted across all devices, however, has been resolved, thanks to conversion applications. Here’s how to convert mp4 to AVI.
Convert using Handbrake version 0.9.2
For some reasons, the handbrake version 0.10 can only be used to convert files to Mkv and mp4 formats only, unlike its predecessor 0.9.2. Handbrake is available for Windows and Mac.
Download and install the handbrake version for your PC from here, then launch the application.
- Click on the “Source” tab under the menu bar > Select Browse to choose your mp4 file.
- Select “Browse” under the “Destination” section to select where your converted AVI files will be saved after conversion.
- Under the “Output Settings” section, select “Xvid” as the output encoder for your video.
- Navigate to and click the “Start” tab under the menu bar to begin your file conversion. Check the destination folder you chose in step 2 for your AVI file when the conversion is complete.
Convert using MacX Video Converter Pro
Though some of its features may not be free, this converter for Mac and Windows surprisingly does the conversion of mp4 to AVI in just four steps. Download and install it from here (for Mac) or Windows, then launch the application on your PC.
- Navigate to the “Add File” button and select the mp4 file you’d like to convert to AVI.
- Under the “PC General Video” section, select AVI Video (Divx) as your output format.
- Click the “Browse” button to choose the destination folder to save your converted AVI files.
- Click Run to begin the conversion process.
Convert using free online converters
- Visit ConvertIO. Navigate to the red bar on the page and click “From Computer” to select the mp4 file from your computer. (If you have the mp4 file saved on Dropbox or Google Drive, or you have the mp4 video’s URL, click on any of the respective icons on the red bar). Click “Convert” > Download when the conversion is complete.
- Visit OnlineVideoConverter. Navigate to and click the “Select or Drop File” > Select AVI as the format to convert to from the drop down menu > Click the “Start” button to begin your conversion > Download.
Convert using VLC Media Player
If you don’t have the VLC Media Player already installed on your computer, download and install it from here, then launch the application.
- Navigate to and click the “Media” menu > Convert/Save > File > Add.
- Choose the mp4 file you’d like to convert > open > Convert/Save.
- Under the profile section, select “AVI” option as the format to convert to, and choose a destination folder.
- Click “Start” to begin.
Convert using Freemake Video Converter
Download and install the Freemake Video Converter from this here. Launch the application.
- Navigate to and click the +Video button under the menu bar and select the mp4 file to be converted.
- Click the “to AVI” button at the bottom left part of the converter screen.
- Choose a destination folder under the “Save to” section.
- Click Convert to begin > Okay when the conversion is complete.