Of the many video files format designed for the web, there’s one that stands out even when others are standing out. It’s the WebM video file format. WebM represents “Google in the alliance for open media”. This is not to say that it is owned by Google, rather, Google in partnership with top companies like Intel, Microsoft, Amazon, Cisco, Netflix and Mozilla formed WebM.
Converting your mp4 videos into WebM format, ready for online use, requires just a few minutes of your time, and perhaps, a few bucks to get the job done. Here’s how!
Convert MP4 to WebM using iMedia Converter Deluxe
Download and install the software for your Mac or Windows PC from here, then launch it.
- Navigate to and click the “File” button and choose your mp4 video.
- Select “WebM” as the format to convert to from the format panel bottom of the screen.
- Click the “Convert” button at the bottom right corner of the screen to begin conversion.
The converted WebM video will be saved into the program’s default folder.
Convert using VLC Media Player
Download and install one of the most valuable video players of all time to your computer from the VideoLAN website.
- Navigate to the “Media” menu > select “Convert/Save” > Click “Add” and select the mp4 videos you’d like to convert to WebM.
- Under the “Profile” section, choose “Video – VP80 + Vorbis (WebM)” from the drop down. Besides the profile drop down, click the Spanner/Screwdriver icon, and ensure that the encapsulation tab is set as WebM.
- Under the “Video Codec” tab, select “VP8” as the codec from the “encoding parameters” option.
- Under the “Audio Codec” tab, unselect the “Keep original audio track” option > then choose “Vorbis” as the codec.
- Click the “Save” button to save all the settings above > then select the destination folder and enter a file name for your video.
- Click “Start” to begin the conversion process.
Convert using Hewbo Video Converter
Download and install the Hewbo Video Converter for your Mac and Windows PC.
- Launch the application, then navigate to the “Add File” and select your mp4 files.
- Choose “WebM (VP8)” as output format and hit the “Convert” button. Find the converted WebM video in the program’s default folder.
Convert using Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
Download and install the converter from here.
- Navigate to and click the “+Add Files” and choose your mp4 files > then select “WebM” as the output format from the output format section to the right of the screen.
- Click “Convert” at the bottom right corner of the screen to begin conversion. The converted file will be in the program’s default folder.
Convert using free online tools
- Visit ZamZar: Click the “Choose Files…” button and select your mp4 files > choose “WebM” as the format to convert to > enter your email address to receive the download link > Click the convert button.
- Visit CloudConvert. Click the “Select Files” button and choose your mp4 files > Click the “Start Conversion” button > upon completion, click “Download” button to save your file.
- Visit FreeVideoConverter. Upload your mp4 videos by clicking the “Choose File” button > select “WEBM” as the output format > enter your email address to receive the download link > then click “Convert”.