At some point in time, you must have come across a prompt from Windows 10 saying that some apps are running. It means that you cannot shut down the PC right now without closing the apps. However, you can always click on the Shutdown anyway button to force shut down the PC.
Even then, you will want to know how to disable this prompt from showing on your PC. We are going to tell you about a method which will automatically close any apps running on your PC and shut down your PC without showing the prompt.
Steps to Disable Shutdown Anyway Prompt
- Go to Regedit on Windows 10 by pressing Win+R on your keyboard which will open Run command. Here, type Regedit and press enter.
- In Regedit, go to the path mentioned below:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop
- On the window at the right side, right-click on any empty space and go to New > String Value.
- This will let you create a new String Value. You have to name this String to AutoEndTasks.
- Double click on this newly created String named AutoEndTasks and set its value as 1.
- Press Ok, close Regedit and restart your PC.
- On the restart, you can try opening an app and then shutting down your PC. The running app will be automatically closed and your PC will shut down without any prompt.
This method is only for those users who have been working on a PC which is shared by many such as in a Cyber Cafe or a public Computer access booth. Otherwise, it is not recommended that you use this method on your personal PC as this will close everything and you cannot do anything if your important work is lost by mistake. If you want to revert back to enable shutdown prompt then you can set the value of the AutoEndTasks string to 0.