If you are a web expert, you might think the headline of this article is something kidding. But, the fact is that, there are still some people who didn’t know what a website is! If you are one of those, this article is for you where we describe the definition of a website and its working.
What is a Website and a Web Page?
A website is a collection of Web pages, Images, Videos or other Digital assets that are hosted on a web server usually accessed through the internet. The web page is a document, typically written in HTML format which is accessible through the HTTP, a protocol which transfers the web pages to the user’s browser.
- thetechhacker.com is an example of a website.
- https://thetechhacker.com/2016/07/08/what-is-website-or-web-page/ is an example of a web page.
Fundamentals to create a website is a Domain name and a Hosting server. When someone enters your domain name (thetechhacker.com in our case) to the browser, the web pages with texts and images will be transferred from the web server through the HTTP to the users browser. Then the user will be able to view it. For more information, read our article on how a web server works?
Why do users visit a website?
Basically, most of the users visiting websites for three primary reasons,
- To find some information they need: This could be anything from a student looking for pictures of computers for a magazine, to find inspirational quotes for the school project, to get the address of the nearest hotel, and anything which demands an answer for their questions.
- To complete a specific task: Users may want to buy some best-selling books, download a good video editor software, or to participate in a community of doctors, etc.
- Just for time pass or random browsing (Only a small percentage of visitors.)
So, your website should have a purpose of providing information, helping users to fulfill their needs or entertaining them. Once the visitor found that your website is something worthy, you could expect him back all the weekend to your website for new content updates.
When you need one your own?
If you think, you have a hell lot of information juggling in your brain related to anything including technology, science, maths, lifestyle, travel and almost anything could be expressed through a website. It’s not hidden that the daily total page views on all the websites on the internet is more than the number of world’s population! So, it’s a way to share, learn and earn (If you wish.)
Or if you have a business where you need more customers and or need to sell your products online, a website is the exact way to do so. Organizations, Schools, Celebrities can also create their own sign on the online world with a good website.
Now, you are aware of a website and a web page including their uses and functions. You could find more on this website in coming days and stay tuned.