PCs are with us for quite some time now, and if you are like me, you probably can’t imagine your life without one. But wait, our article should be about mobile phones, right? Yes. The reason I began with PC is that our mobile phones are now like mini PCs if you think about it. What can your PC do that mobile can’t? The modern mobile phones, called smartphones are capable of bringing a full-fledged PC experience, without using any additional equipment like a keyboard or a mouse.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Mobile Phone
We can now watch movies, play games, make calls, send SMS and MMS, communicate with video calls, access the internet, download songs, listen to music and much more, even on the cheapest smartphone. That’s what makes mobile phones so awesome. In the following chapters, we’ll talk about mobile phone advantages and disadvantages, although some of them you may know, but hey, doesn’t hurt to know more about it!
Advantages of Mobile Phone
- Mobile phone is a great communication tool: Like we said, mobile phones are ultimate machines when it comes to communication. You can call someone, send a message (SMS, MMS) or communicate via Facebook Messenger for example, or Skype for video calls. Not only that but since they are ‘mobile’, you can carry them around and contact your friends and family whenever you wish to do so. Just ping someone when you want to meet and you’re ready.
- Mobile phones are good for overall fun: Admit it, how much time do you spend on your mobile phone a day? I bet it’s over 3 hours. Mobile phones are now a great source of quick fun. You can open YouTube to watch videos, or go to Netflix and watch your favorite TV show, or if you like social media, you can just hop into Instagram of Facebook and check your friends’ activities. On top of that, mobile games are now really good and you can play them too on your smartphone, or just listen to music on your headphones.
- Mobile phones provide a satisfying internet browsing experience: Mobile phones nowadays offer a great experience in internet browsing, so you can now access your favorite websites at any place and time. The best of all is that most of the websites now are full-fledged, even on some mobile phones, so you can basically do everything that you do on your PC.
- Amazing amount of information at fingertips: Mobile phones keep us connected all the time, thus informing us of many factors like forecast, news and everything we want to know. You can use this feature to your advantage to plan trips for example. If you check the forecast and see that the weather will not be great, then you can rest and travel the other day. Or you can just read the news and save money on various magazines and newspaper.
- They are relatively compact and look beautiful: I know this is one of the most important factors when buying a phone, as nobody likes the ugly phones. This is surely an advantage of mobile phones, as they can be fashion statements. You can now buy masks and phone covers to make them more eye-appealing thus creating your own, unique style. Whether you want a blue, green, red, yellow or your unique phone, don’t worry, it’s all there, available for purchase.
Disadvantages of Mobile Phone
- Dependency: Let’s face it- we depend on our phones… period! If you have a lot of people that you communicate with or you are a businessman, you’ll receive calls, emails, and messages on daily basis, and this can get so frustrating at times. You sometimes just want to throw your smartphone on the bed, cover it with a pillow and forget about it, but you just can’t, as you will probably receive a relatively important call. It can sometimes get a bit frustrating, but that’s the fact we must accept.
- Mobile phones cause distraction: I think that most students have problem studying because of the temptation to pick up their smartphones and check social media or play games. Mobile phones can really distract us from our work or goal, either by receiving messages and calls or just by pure habit. Either way, let your phone rest for a little bit, don’t overuse it.
- Mobile phones are bad for company: It’s really awkward when you see a group of people hanging out and they are looking at their phones non-stop. This spoils all the fun, and you’ll probably agree with me on that. I won’t get into whether it’s up to people or smartphones, but this needs to stop…now.
- Someone can steal it from you: If someone steals your phone from you, and you don’t have it encrypted, well… that’s bad news. Somebody can take advantage of your files, pictures and even contacts to do you bad stuff, like calling and harassing your family or friends or exposing your photos everywhere on the internet. Thre are tons of security issues here, and we can talk about it forever.
- Mobile phone cause eye strain and other health issues: As with TV or PC, smartphones can damage your eyes if you look at them too much. The brighter your smartphone’s screen the more strain it puts on your eyes, and you can have headaches or some head problems. To minimize eye strain, it’s better to use lower brightness whenever you can.
Although mobile phones have their share of disadvantages, we can’t tell that they are bad, really. Mobile phones help us in many ways in our daily lives, by letting us communicate at first place, as this was the main purpose of mobile phones back in the day. Aside from that, they keep us connected and always keep us in step with time. Of course, there are disadvantages of literally everything you can think of, but that doesn’t take away from how awesome mobile phones are. In my opinion, mobile phones are one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century, and having in mind that they are just getting better, they could replace our desktop PCs in every department.