Not long ago, Microsoft Windows was the most popular operating system on the planet. Sure, with the progress of technology, we have the operating systems like Linux and Mac. Today, our topic will be a special guide on how to find the mac address in your Mac. As you know, Mac is pretty straightforward and usually requires just a couple of clicks to do what you want, which is pretty good. So, if you want to get mac address on your Mac computer, I think it’s time to read our simple guide.
Get Mac Address on Mac using System Preferences
Just a few days ago, we talked about how to find mac address in Ubuntu. If you remember, there was an exact same method, so if you tried it, this method should be a walk in the park. The steps are below.
- Take a look at your top left corner of the screen.
- Move the cursor over there and you should see the option System Preferences in the drop-down menu. Select it.
- A new window will now open and you should find the Network option in the third row under Internet & Wireless part. Left-click on it.
- Now, you’ll see on the left side all of the connections you are picking up and the connections you are connected to. Select the desired connection and click Advanced.
- A new window will open and you need to choose the Hardware tab.
- There, you’ll see your MAC address. Click Ok to finish the process.
The Terminal Method
Mac OS has an amazing feature called Terminal, and this feature allows you to see your MAC address very quickly and without an effort. The steps of this method are below.
- Go to Applications in the menu.
- Open your Terminal from Utilities folder.
- When the Terminal window opens, type “iconfig“
- Press Enter.
- Now, you’ll see both of your ethernet and wireless connections.
The important thing to mention is how these are labeled. Since you are going to see a lot of data in your command window, it’s relevant that you carefully notice what is your ethernet and what is your wireless connection. If you want to check your ethernet connection, look for en0 and under that paragraph, you’ll see ether and then the number of your IP address for ethernet connection.
Just under this line, you’ll see en1 which is the paragraph devoted to Wireless connection. The same goes here; you’ll see ether and the number of your IP address for the Wi-Fi connection.
As you previously saw, obtaining MAC address from your Mac is deadly simple. Sure, you may find your own method for doing this, but it can’t get more simple than this. If you want to find your MAC address very quickly, we suggest using a Terminal method. But, to make sure you know every method, you can try the first one, too. Be sure to make things as simple as possible, especially because this is a very common thing to do.