Kodi is an open source media server software. You can utilize it to configure your own in-house Netflix service on your home network. You’ve got a lot of configuring with Kodi.
You may choose to use your purchased media content to stream it across multiple devices using Kodi – or just use an Add-on to stream it from a 3rd party service.
Now, you must be thinking – if this is a home theater software, which will be usually used for personal use, why bother writing an article about how to use a VPN with Kodi? We’ll let you know that as you read on…
Why do you need a VPN with Kodi?
Some add-ons on Kodi do not work with certain ISPs – because either they are banned in some countries or restricted by specific ISPs for reasons unknown.
Whatever you stream using Kodi – can be monitored by your ISP – for obvious reasons. So, just for the sake of privacy, you can use a VPN.
Although we do not recommend using pirated content – in case you have something in your collection – may be something for your research which may give a red flag to your ISP, a VPN is a must for those kinds of situations.
Now, the important part – how to use a VPN with Kodi? And, which VPN? There are several VPN available for Kodi, let us check which suites better.
We Recommend ExpressVPN
We do recommend using our favorite ExpressVPN to use with Kodi. However, you can use whatever you feel like – there’s no problem in that.
It would completely depend on where you want to use Kodi – on your Android TV, smartphone, Linux machine, and so on.
So, in this article, we will mention only the most common platforms where people tend to use Kodi:
How to use a VPN with Kodi on Windows
If you happen to be using Kodi on Windows, you do not have to configure much – it’s very easy. First, download Kodi for Windows. And, then, you just have to download the VPN you prefer and install it. First, secure your network with the VPN and then launch Kodi.
Here are the steps in detail using ExpressVPN setup as an example. We are using and recommending ExpressVPN because it has fast servers located in many locations and it has support for a large selection of Kodi apps.
- Go to the ExpressVPN webpage and purchase the service.
- Now simply download the VPN app on the Windows laptop or Desktop.
- After installing a VPN, log into the service with the credentials you got after purchasing the VPN service.
- After logging in, now choose the server you prefer. (Most people prefer US server)
- After connecting the VPN service, now open the Kodi and unlock the blocked add-ons
Now you have unblocked Kodi add-ons and you can stream anything you want with full privacy. All the data is encrypted and secured by VPN service and no one can access or trace your online activities.
You will be able to use the add-ons and stream channels/media content easily after that – there’s nothing you need to do.
How to use a VPN with Kodi on a Mac
Similar to what you do on Windows, you just have to install the VPN and Kodi on your Mac system. Many VPN services provide download link of Mac apps link on their websites. After installation, simply connect your VPN and launch Kodi to get started.
How to configure OpenVPN for Kodi
In case you want to utilize OpenVPN separately – which may not be necessary because the VPN app usually supports the OpenVPN protocol and would probably prompt you to install it if necessary.
In either case, follow the steps below:
- Download OpenVPN for Windows/Linux from the official site and get it installed.
- Once done, download the OpenVPN configuration file. You need to ask your VPN provider about it.
- Extract the file and copy the crt files (certificates) to the “config” folder in OpenVPN’s installation directory.
- Next up, when you launch OpenVPN from your taskbar, right-click on it to find the server locations listed after copying the configuration files.
There’s also a VPN manager add-on, but we do not recommend using that because it is no longer maintained by the developer.
How to use VPN with Kodi on Raspberry Pi (OpenELEC add on)
OpenELEC is a lightweight OS tailored for Raspberry Pi builds. And, fortunately, some VPNs like “Ivacy” offer OpenELEC VPN add-ons to make things easier.
So, for that, you need to contact your VPN provider – if they provide anything as such. If they do support it, you will have to follow the steps below:
- Launch Kodi and head to Settings->File Manager.
- Now, head onto “Add Source”.
- You need to then enter the URL (by clicking on None) provided by your VPN provider as your source and give it a name to identify.
- After done with that, browse for the add-ons from the home screen. You will observe “Add-on browser”, click on that and then click on “Install from zip file” to get it installed.
- Once installed, you just need to go to the program add-ons and launch it by entering your credentials to connect Kodi to your VPN.
How to use a VPN with Kodi on Android
The steps are similar like Windows platform. First, you need to purchase the VPN you choose for Kodi and install the app from Google Play Store on your device. Then, you need to install Kodi’s official app from the Google Play Store to set it up. After you’re done, simply launch the VPN app and connect it before launching Kodi. That’s it!
How to use a VPN with Kodi on iOS
Unlike Android, you will not find the official app listed at the App Store. So, you need a jailbroken device to do that.
If you have a jailbroken device, you can download the deb file from the official site to install it. You should refer to the official Kodi wiki for help with this.
Once you installed Kodi, now it the time to download and install your favorite VPN on your iOS device.
Search the Apple app store with the VPN name you want to install. Or you can visit the VPN website to find the iOS app link. Once you install the VPN service login with the credentials. After activating VPN service, open Kodi and start using it.
Configure your Router for VPN
This is an alternative method if you want your home network to be completely secured by a VPN. If that is the case, you can configure your router to set up the VPN so that you don’t have to set up a VPN with Kodi separately across multiple devices.
Depending on what router you have, your firmware will differ with several options available.
Usually, the VPN provider will help you with the instructions specific to your router if you ask them.
No matter what you use – if the VPN provider supports routers, you just need to download the VPN’s firmware and add it via router’s admin panel. And, in some cases, you just need to enable a connection protocol to manually connect to the VPN network.
You can refer to ExpressVPN’s technical instructions for TP-link routers as an example.
How to install VPN on Amazon Fire Stick / Fire TV
In case you didn’t know, the Fire OS Amazon uses is an Android-based platform for the TV. So, you just need to head to the Play Store (or the marketplace) to download and install your preferred VPN.
- Turn on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick and search for the VPN network you purchased.
- Once the VPN app appears to download and installs it.
- Next sign in to your VPN app.
- Now select the location server on the VPN and click connect.
- Once your VPN starts working open Kodi.
And, you are good to go! That’s about it.
In this article, we mentioned the most common devices that you will be using for Kodi. In case it is something different – you can simply refer the official documentation – and if there’s nothing as such, your VPN provider can always help with the information specific to your device.
Yes, you need to be sure that your device supports it or if the VPN provider supports it. If you are trying to configure your router, be careful while performing the firmware update for VPN configuration. Just a word of advice.
Let us know in the comments below about your thoughts on this. If you know about an interesting method to use VPN with Kodi, feel free to tell us about it!