We have seen Xiaomi getting a lot of flak regarding the advertisements seen on MIUI. Now, there is no way that any smartphone manufacturer should be placing ads on the UI. This is even after a consumer pays anywhere between Rs. 5000 to 15000 to purchase the smartphone. On top of that, Xiaomi even acknowledges that there are ‘limited’ advertisements shown on their smartphones.
Therefore, the only way you have is to disable or remove those ads from your smartphone. To do this, we have various methods that are mentioned down below. Make sure to follow them on your Xiaomi smartphone and say goodbye to those ads.
1. Disable MSA app inside MIUI
The first method is to disable the MSA app on your MIUI-powered Xiaomi phone. MSA which stands for MIUI System Ads is where all the system ads come from. Therefore, disabling this app will solve the majority of your issues.
To do this,
- Open the Settings app and Go to Additional Settings. Then, Select Authorization & revocation & Find “MSA” to turn it off.
2. Disable personalized ad recommendations
Another way to stop those annoying ads is to stop ad recommendations which are based on your browsing history. This is not only annoying but a privacy concern too.
- To disable these ad recommendations, open your Settings app, go to Additional Settings and select Privacy. From there, turn off “Personalized ad recommendations”.
3. Disable ads inside Mi Security app
However, we have seen that ads from Mi’s own apps also pop-up very frequently. Things get worse when you can’t uninstall system apps and have to deal with the ads. One of those apps is the Mi Security app so you need to disable ads inside this app to stop them from showing up.
- To perform this action, open Mi Security app and tap on the icon in the top-right corner to turn off Recommendations. Open Mi Security app’s Settings once again, go to Cleaner and disable Recommendations.
4. Disable Mi Browser ads
The most common ads you will see on Mi smartphones are the browser ads. Thankfully, there is a way to disable those ads as well.
- Disable Mi Browser ads by opening the Mi Browser app and go to its Settings. Inside Settings, click on Advanced and select Top Sites order and turn off Recommendations.
5. Remove Mi Music ads
Xiaomi shows ads inside its Mi Music app as well. While you may not use the app, you will see the ads from this app.
- To remove these ads, open the Mi Music app and go to Settings>Advanced Settings and turn off Recommendations.
6. Disable Mi Video ads
- Open the Mi Video app and open the Accounts menu. Go to its Settings, turn off Recommendations and Push notifications.
7. Disable Mi File Manager ads
- Open the Mi File Manager app and open its Settings. Go to About and turn off Recommendations.
8. Disable ads inside the Downloads app
Yes, you will get ads from the Downloads app of MIUI as well. As always, you can disable them.
- Open the Downloads app and go to Settings and turn off Show recommended content.
9. Disable Folders ads
Interestingly, Xiaomi places ads between folders on their smartphone too. This is particularly annoying when you click on a folder and it turns out to be an ad which redirects you to a website.
- To stop this, open any folder to disable ads inside them. Long-press on the folder and select “A Promoted apps” section and turn it off.
10. Disable MIUI Themes app ads
Yes, this one is quite common. You will notice that there are ads in Xiaomi’s MIUI themes app as well.
- To disable these ads, open MIUI Themes app, and open Account menu. After that, select Settings and turn off Recommendations.
That’s it. After doing these tasks, you will not see ads almost 99% of the time on your smartphone. However, this does not mean that the ads will be removed or disabled permanently. Having said that, Xiaomi promises that the next version of MIUI will have much-lesser ads.
Smartphone ads are annoying and sometimes they will slow down the smartphone performance. In the past, we featured a detailed article about “How to speed up Xiaomi smartphone“. Read our tutorial and improve your device performance.
Also, you might have noticed that all these apps mention the word “Recommendations” instead of Ads. This is Xiaomi’s way of telling you that they don’t show you ads but instead, it recommends content for you.