Internet technology has revolutionized all aspects of modern life. It impacts shopping communication, health services, education, doing homework and business among other spheres of your life. In essence, having a reliable and safe internet connection is a priority for every household owner.
However, the issue of privacy and safety of data when browsing is now a big issue. This is where a VPN or a Virtual Private Network comes in handy especially when browsing using a public connection. But what about browsing at home? Do you need a VPN and is it a necessary precaution?
This article explores situations where VPN can protect you and your family when using the internet at home. It also gives reasons to use a secure connection at home. Read on.
How VPN Works?
When browsing on an open Wi-Fi hotspot, the content you download and upload is visible to anyone with the skills to intercept your connection. A Virtual Private Network is a secure connection between your home computers and a server. This means anyone who tries looking at your connection will not succeed because all internet traffic and browsing data go through that remote server.
VPN services provide this remote server which completes the last leg of the connection and thus encrypts your browsing connection. Simply put, a VPN keeps every moment your family spends online completely private. Whether you want to watch blocked videos on Netflix, enhance your family’s privacy or avoid government censorship, a VPN is an essential tool.
When you need a VPN at Home
It might seem like browsing at home is safe and private but you can never tell what lurks out there. The following reasons make it important to use a VPN at home:
- When someone else provides your internet connection: If you rely on another person’s connection for your home internet use, it is important to use a VPN for your protection. Whether it is a landlord, neighbor, roommate or family member, using a VPN ensures privacy.
- Accessing blocked content: If you are a movie buff and can’t access Netflix or other streaming services in your country/location, you can use VPN to do bypass this barrier. Choose a VPN service residing in a country that allows these blocked services.
- Safety of kids: If you have kids in the family, using a VPN is a great way to protect them from online predators. It guarantees they don’t fall prey to bad elements lurking out there.
- Defeat Oppressive Government Censorship: If you have just relocated to a country where the government restricts internet access, using a VPN will help you access your favorite websites seamlessly.
- Save money online: Some online stores display prices depending on location. If you use a VPN, it is possible to get better prices on your order.
- If you believe privacy is a basic right: With increasing cases of identity theft, internet fraud, cyberbullying among other online privacy problems, it is your right to browse safely at home.
VPN services are available for all platforms including routers, browsers, mobile and desktop platforms. In the past, we have suggested the best VPN for Windows, Android, and iOS. Check out our best VPN recommendations and maintain your online identity safe and secure.
Whether you are using streaming service or online stores from the comfort of your home, you should consider using a VPN service for a safer, faster, reliable and secure experience.