Images are one of the most important parts of our memories, and we have a secure attachment to them. Any corruption can lead our memories away from us, but do not worry we have some very efficient tools that can help us to repair all those damaged Images. Most image files have JPEG extensions and to repair them you have to use JPEG files.
- Programming Code Bugs: Every image file also consists of programming, and if there is an error in the program code, then it may fail to display.
- Data Error: Like other graphics files JPEG photos may also contain incorrectly constructed data (bad data), and damaged or corrupt data, because of a poorly designed file format writer. Bad data may lead to improper header values such as resolution, file size, the number of colors, etc. or incorrectly written byte orders will misguide a format reader into a wrong interpretation of the JPEG file data.
- File Corruption Due to Wrong Storage Media: The hard drive that contains bad sectors may also be a reason of JPEG file corruption. If you store your Image file in a corrupt storage place, it may get damaged and show error in display.
- Incomplete Shutdown: An improper shutdown of the system, or pulling out memory card when camera is in running condition may lead to image file corruption
- Virus Infection: It may also be a big reason of JPEG file corruption
- Incomplete Scanning: Improper Scanning process of JPEG files may also lead to damaged files
- File Reader Error: Sometimes the fault is not in the JPEG file, however, it comes with file reader. If the File reader is not able to read the format of JPEG file completely, because of lack of features to display data, a user cannot view the image.
Types of Error Messages that indicates the Corruption
- Windows Explorer Error: ‘No preview available.’
- Windows Picture & Fax Viewer Error: ‘The document may be damaged.’
- Photoshop Error: ‘Drawing failed.’
- Photoshop Error: ‘Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found.’
- IrfanView Error: ‘Can’t read file header! Unknown file format or file not found!’
Manual Recovery (System Restoration) steps
If a problem occurs with the OS and you are not able to fix it, then system restoration is probably the best ways to solve the problem. It allows you to roll back your system to the previous time, when there was no problem and cause occurred.
The component called ‘System Protection’ creates System Restoration process on the computer. It automatically generates restore points before any activity done on the system, such as installing, uninstalling, updating or restoring applications. System Protection automatically creates a System restoration points in every 7 days.
Here are Steps to Restore the System Manually
- Login with Admin accounts in your computer
- Right Click on the desktop and select Properties
- Now select System Protection in System Properties
- In System Protection tab there is an option of Protection Settings where you will see an option to restore hard drive C or D. It depends on your system settings it will automatically select Windows drive for the restoration process.
- Select the hard drive where you want to perform recovery process and click on Configure.
- You can customize your Restoration process and can allot space for restoration process according to you
- Now click OK or Cancel, according to your requirement, but do not close the Window
- If you want to delete all the other restoration points except the most recent one, you can use Disk Cleanup Tool. To select it go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
- Now use Cleanup by clicking on OK button
- Delete Restore points, click on Delete
- Create manual restoration points, Go back to System Properties and follow the steps
- Now Click Finish, you will get a warning from your system that one it will be started you cannot interrupt it.
- If you have decided to continue, a window will display the message “Preparing to restore your system” and then another window which will show “Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored. System Restore is initializing.”
Note: The System Restoration process could be different for every version of Windows. The above-mentioned steps are for Windows 7 users.
The restoration process may not be able to perform damaged JPEG recovery. For complete repairing process, you have to obtain any software, which is designed to repair corrupt JPEG files efficiently. This software is designed to repair only JPEG files and have the ability to recover even the deep damaged image file. They can scan your file from any storage media such as memory card photos recovery so that you can recover your photos from external hard drive. You can see all the damaged and corrupt JPEG files available in your system after scanning process. This software also provides you the facility to save image files in your desired location.
There is a number of softwares available in the market, always select a software according to your OS compatibility. Research about the product first, before you have spent money on it, or try its free demo version so that you will be satisfied with the result.