Ever asked this question yourself? After downloading your favorite song or the trial version of a software, anytime faced a situation where you don’t actually know the download location of the files? This happens especially to the beginners who are new to the computers. Even it sounds simple to the modern users, there are still few people that don’t know the answer. So, we wrote this article on “where are my downloads on this computer” to help such people.
Note: Before spending time on the following steps, here is a quick solution. The default download location of the Windows files is “C:\Downloads” and for Mac, it is “(home-folder)/users/(your-mac-name)/downloads” or “Finder>(User-Name)>Downloads“. Replace the appropriate sections with the correct one. Check those folders and if you can’t find your files there, proceed with the following steps.
Find Downloads in Windows
It is not a rocket science to find the download location in computers. You can do it either directly from the Windows or from the Browser that you used for downloading files.
To find the download location using Browser
- Open the Browser that you used to download the files (Like Chrome, Firefox, etc.)
- Now, just press Ctrl+J keys together, and it will open a “Downloads” tab in your browser.
- There you can find the downloads and a link or icon saying “Show in folder.”
- Click on it and it will bring you to the location where the downloaded files are stored.
Find Downloads in Mac
In Mac also, finding the download location of the files is very easy. Here are the steps.
To find download location from Safari
- Open Safari Browser.
- Press Command+Option+L together.
- This will open the downloads tab, and there you can navigate to the location of the downloaded files.
To find download location from Chrome or Firefox
- Open the browser.
- Press Command+J.
- It will access your downloads tab.
- And click on the “Show in folder” or like icons in the tab.