There are plenty of Printer errors that are common in Windows 10. Many people complain printer is offline in Windows and some are facing unable to update the printer drivers. Windows 10 error 0x00000709 is most common among multiple printers users. If you are using a single printer this problem never comes. It is a quite irritating error when you trying to set a default printer in a list of installed printers.
Setting a default printer is useful to make prints in a particular printer whenever a printing command is executed. There are several reasons for setting a default printer from an available printer. For example, if you are having two printers in that one is Black and White and the other is a color printer.
Making the B&W printer as a default makes the printing job easy and saves color ink. When giving a print command, the Windows will automatically give the printing command to the B&W printer. This is an example of the benefits of setting a default printer option in Windows 10.
Now coming to the main topic of this article. If you are unable to set a default printer and getting error 0x00000709 unable to set default printer in Windows 10, follow the below methods.
How to fix error 0x00000709 unable to set default printer in Windows 10
1. By editing Windows Registry
Usually, the error 0x00000709 is caused by the registry error. If you fix the registry there is a possibility of fixing the error easily.
- Press Windows key+R to open run.
- Type regedit in the Run box and hit enter.
- Now, on the left side of the registry window, open the following path.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Windows
- Now, right-click on the Windows folder and select Permissions.
- Now select the Administrators account under Group or user names, and then click OK after that. Here give permissions by checking the “Allow” box.
- Now, go back to the registry window. Here, select Windows on the left side. Then, double-click on Device on the right side of the window.
- In the Edit String dialog box, you have to type the name of your default printer in Value Data and click on OK to save the settings.
2. Stop Windows from Managing the Default Printer automatically
Windows has one advance feature which automatically selects the printing job by last time using location. For example, if you are using printer A and B, and for the last printing job if you used Printer B, then it will automatically select Printer B for the next printing job. This feature is a good one but many times it ends with giving the error 0x00000709.
So disabling this feature will stop getting the error. To stop Windows from managing the default printer automatically follow the below steps.
- Open Windows Settings from the Start Menu.
- Now, go to Devices.
- Here, click on Printers & Scanners on the left side menu.
- Here, disable Let Windows manage my default printer by unchecking the box.
- Now restart the computer to changes take effect.
3. Set Default Printer Manually (Last method to fix error 0x00000709 unable to set default printer)
It is yet another method to solve the error 0x00000709.
- Open Control Panel on your Windows 10 computer.
- Inside the Control Panel, select Hardware and Sound.
- Go to Devices and Printers.
- Now right-click on your printer and select Set as default printer option.
I hope the above solutions solved the “error 0x00000709 unable to set default printer in Windows 10“. If you have any other solution to fix the error, please mention it in the comment box below.