The IPSW name stands for iPod, iPad, iPhone software. If a file is combined with the IPSW extension then it is a device of Apple software update file that can be used along with iPad, Apple TV, iPhone, iPod touch. Its purpose is of storing the encrypted DMG, BBFWs, PLISTs and many types of file is an archive file format.
What is an IPSW file?
.ipsw is the exact file format which is widely used in Apple’s ecosystem of devices. Apple had released these file formats whose main purpose is of adding some new features and also helps to fix security issues in devices. If a user wants to restore his/her Apple device to the factory default settings then IPSW can aid in doing that too.
Through iTunes, the Apple Company had been launching new IPSWs. But if one wants then they can also go to the website of IPSW downloads and download the latest or outdated version of it.
Where is the IPSW used?
The IPSW file extension is basically for the Apple user. It can be used in Apple devices such as Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch.
IPSW File Locations in Windows and Mac
You can find the downloaded IPSW files in Windows and macOS in the following locations.
- iPhone: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
- iPad: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
- iPod: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
- iPhone: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
- iPad: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
- iPod: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
- iPhone: ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
- iPad: ~/Library/iTunes/iPad Software Updates
- iPod: ~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates
How to open it?
Whenever a compatible device is connected to a PC then it requires an update. At this time users can download the IPSW file extension directly from the iTunes as soon as they accept the prompt to update their device. Then automatically the IPSW file extension is applied on their by iTunes.
If the user in the past had downloaded the IPSW extension via the iTunes or obtained it from any other resource then they can very simply open it by just double-clicking on it.
So this was the information related to the IPSW file extension that is basically for the Apple users. It can help to get back to the factory’s default setting.
One can also install the IPSW files without the use of iTunes. They could take help from the various third-party software’s available online.