We all know how content streaming platforms, also known as OTT or over-the-top platforms, have climbed up on the internet and they are currently consumed by almost 25% of the world population. This is because the downloading of files has become past and streaming content is the present and future.
In earlier days, people used to download files and store on their phones or computers but as data charges have gone down, most have realized that filing up storage with files is not a good idea. Now, some of the most popular OTT platforms are Netflix as well as Amazon Prime Video and we know they have a great competition between them as to who comes out on top.
What are User Profiles in OTT platforms?
The best part of their competition is that the users are winning and they get to see great content as both platforms fight for supremacy. However, there are millions of users who have subscribed to both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video at the same time to enjoy content from both. One difference that was seen on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video was of multiple users.
Until some time ago, only Netflix supported allowing multiple users to watch content on their platform by creating multiple profiles whereas, on Amazon, you had to view content from the same user profile. This meant that if you were watching a show on Amazon Prime Video and someone else would use your account, they would know what you were watching and that could be embarrassing.
However, the good news is that Amazon Prime Video also supports user profiles from now on which means you can add multiple user profiles to your single account based on who is using the account. This has been one of the most talked-about features on Netflix and we are glad that Amazon Prime Video has finally added the same.
The other drawback of user-profiles not being available on Amazon Prime Video was that your watch history would affect your recommendations as well. As we all know, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube and others all have their algorithms that recommend content based on your watch history. So if someone was using your Amazon account without user profiles, they would confuse the algorithms with what your interests are your recommendations would be messed up.
In the case of user-profiles with Amazon Prime Video, the recommendations for different user profiles will be separate even though the account is the same. So if someone with a different user profile is watching content from your account, it will not be added to your watch history.
Now that we have talked so much about Amazon Prime Video and user profiles on the platform, let’s also understand how to use profiles in Amazon Prime Video
How to add profiles to Amazon Prime Video
Before talking about how to add user profiles inside Amazon Prime Video, we would like to tell you that you can create up to six user profiles on the same account.
Also, Amazon Prime Video will remember the user profile that you logged in to from last time and log you in from that same profile.
This feature is not even available on Netflix and is exclusive to Amazon Prime Video right now. Creating a new user profile on your Amazon Prime Video account is simple, follow the below steps.
- First, go to Prime Video’s website from here and enter your account credentials to log in to your account. Or alternatively log-into any platform such as Windows, Android and iOS. (Here, I’m using Amazon Prime Video Windows app for demonstration.)
- After that, go to the bottom left section where you see the Profile icon and click on it.
- Then, you will see the user profiles you have already created. If you have not created any, you will see the “Manage Profiles” button and you have to click on that.
- Here, you will have the option to select a photo and name for the user profile and even select if the profile is of a kid by enabling the “Kid’s profile?” toggle.
- Basically, Kid’s profile is when someone is below the age of 12 so that movies and shows will be recommended based on that.
- Once done with everything, click on “Save Changes” and your new user profile will be created.
- That’s it. Your new user profile will be shown on the homepage in the Profile section.
The profile creation is much similar in all platforms including Android and iOS. All you need to access the manage profiles section and make your required changes to create a new profile. Let us know your valuable feedback in the comment section below.