We already discussed VPN uses in our daily digital life. VPNs are available for many platforms including Linux. Many VPN providers are offering dedicated Linux VPN clients for easy use. However, some VPNs are not providing clients with direct installation and use. For these kinds of VPN services, you need to manually install and configure the VPN settings. Most VPN services are designed to work with OpenVPN. It is a lifesaver service for those who don’t have GUI-based VPN clients.
Why do we need a VPN for Linux?
There are plenty of uses for using VPN for Linux. VPN is a universal need irrespective of Operating systems. It will give multiple benefits to the user for maintaining his/her anonymity. Popular VPN services like SurfsharkVPN can offer plenty of options to users. You can read more about SurfsharkVPN online.
- A VPN can hide your online activity from prying eyes.
- It can safely fight the various types of online attacks from cyber criminals.
- It can protect your sensitive data.
- VPN simply breaks the online censorship barriers.
- For cheaper flight and travel booking online.
In this guide, we explain how to set up a VPN on Linux. Follow the steps to learn several ways to install a VPN service on your Linux machine.
Requirements for setup of VPN on Linux
- A Linux-based computer.
- Active internet connection.
- Good VPN subscription.
How to set up a VPN on Linux
Once you have the above requirements, you are now ready to install VPN on your Linux. Here are the steps to follow.
- Installing a SurfsharkVPN client.
- Checking connection status after setup.
As we discussed above, we need to install OpenVPN in order to connect a VPN service on Linux. Installing OpenVPN is a pretty easy process. In this article, we are using Surfshark VPN to install it on Linux. Surfshark works on Chrome, Firefox, Andoird, iOS, MacOS, Windows, Linux and FireTV.
- Open the terminal (CTRL+ALT+T in Ubuntu).
- Type in the following command:
- curl -f https://downloads.surfshark.com/linux/debian-install.sh –output surfshark-install.sh #gets the installation script
cat surfshark-install.sh #show script’s content
sh surfshark-install.sh #installs surfshark
- Voila! now you are ready to use VPN service on Linux.
It is that simple to use VPN on the Linux operating system. After a successful connection with the client, it is always advisable to check the IP address for leaks. Usually, it is hard to use Linux if you are a regular user of Windows or macOS. But installing Linux is quite an easy process for Linux users. Let us know your thoughts about the article in the comment section below.