With the introduction of the mp4 file format in 1998, the world and most importantly the internet, have benefitted from the goodies that came with it. Same goes for the mp3 file format which has been very much around. But we aren’t studying the history of these two file formats, rather, we are looking at ways to convert mp4 to mp3 file format, just as you’d convert your PDF files to Word.
Convert MP4 to MP3 using iTunes software
The free iTunes software on your computer is a free handy tool that can be used to convert your mp4 files to mp3. Here’s how.
- Download and install the iTunes.
- Launch the program. You need to set the preferences that would enable you to convert your files. Navigate to Edit > Preferences > General.
- Change the “Import using” setting under the Import Settings submenu to “mp3 encoder”, then click OK.
- Select the mp4 music on the playlist you’d like to convert to mp3 > right click on it > select “convert selection to mp3” and your mp4 files will be converted to mp3.
Convert using Windows Media Player
The default Windows Media Player can be used to convert your files with ease.
- Launch the Windows Media Player on your computer and open the mp4 file you’d like to convert. Navigate to File menu > Open > select the mp4 file > Open. The file will start playing.
- Navigate to File menu again > Save As > Enter the file name and remove the 4 from the .mp4 and replace it with a 3 (e.g. mp4 – mp3) > Save.
Convert using free online converters
- Visit OnlineVideoConverter. Click on Select or Drop File > select the mp4 file you’d like to convert from your computer> choose mp3 from the drop down as the format to convert to > click Start > Download.
- Visit ZamZar. Navigate to Step 1 to Choose Files > select the mp4 files you’d like to convert > on step 2, select mp3 as the format to convert to > enter your email address if you’d like to receive the converted files in your email inbox > Convert.
- Visit CloudConvert. Click on select files > choose the mp4 file you’d like to convert to mp3 > Start Conversion > Download. You can also save the downloaded file to your Dropbox account, and for large files, you can get desktop notifications upon completion of the conversion while you do something else with your time.
Convert using software like Freemake Video Converter
Download and install the software from Freemake.
- Launch the software and click the “+Video” button to select mp4 files you’d like to convert to mp3.
- Select “to mp3” and choose from any of the available presets. To export the converted mp3 to your iPhone, iPod or iPad, select the “Export to iTunes” option.
- Click convert.
Pretty easy ways to convert your files, aren’t they? Want to learn how to convert from Excel to PDF?