When it comes to messaging WhatsApp comes in the mind first. Gone are those days when we used to conversate with people using SMS (Short Message Service). When you compare WhatsApp with SMS or MMS you will see many features and options which are more advanced. Today I want to discuss the advantages of disadvantages of WhatsApp to explore its features in deep. I’ve done research on WhatsApp and presented you with the best list.
Advantages of WhatsApp
- End-to-End Encryption: WhatsApp is a secured messenger with end-to-end encryption. No one can read your conversations including WhatsApp.
- 2-Step Verification: It is an extra layer of security for your WhatsApp account. If you are privacy-conscious, you can use 2-Step verification to make your conversations more secured.
- Group Calling: WhatsApp has a group calling feature. You can make group calls to your friends, relatives or any others with ease. There are plenty of apps to catch cheaters in WhatsApp chats. It is one of the advantages of using WhatsApp for communication.
- Voice Messages: If you are in an urgent you can leave a voice message to the persons WhatsApp account.
- Video Calling: It can replace the video calling apps you are using, you can make video calls to your contacts without any hassle.
- For Photos Transferring: Do you know there is a trick to send photos over WhatsApp without compressing the quality? Yes, click on the documents option instead of choosing pictures or videos. Now select the photo you want to send, it will send the picture without compressing it.
- Filters Support: Do you know WhatsApp has built-in image filters? Yes, you can tweak your image before sending it to a contact. Once you select a photo on the editing screen, swipe up on this screen to open the filters’ drawer. It will simply replace the image filter apps like Instagram, SnapSeed, and Prisma.
- User-friendly: WhatsApp user interface is very user-friendly and neatly organized.
- Starred messages: This feature will let you put a star for important messages. Never lose the important message in the ample of messages.
- Unsend option: If you did not like the message you sent to mistakenly sent the wrong message to a person you can unsend it. Tap on the message you want to unsend, here tap on the trash button and choose the “Delete for Everyone” option to unsend the message.
- Text Formatting: It is an underrated feature is available for WhatsApp users. The text formatting support is rolled out in the year 2016, which lets you send texts in various formats using some syntaxes.
- Send Files: You can send images, files, audio or video clippings, contacts through WhatsApp. No email is needed to send them, it happens with a single tap.
- Ad-Free: Many messengers and chat service apps come with advertisements, you can avoid them only in the Pro version which is a paid option. WhatsApp is a completely free messaging app with no advertisements.
- WhatsApp Web: It lets you access your WhatsApp on the web browser. If you are working on a PC or Mac or any other platform, you can check and send WhatsApp messages without using your phone. The WhatsApp Web is free to use tool for accessing WhatsApp in a browser.
- Sharing Location: WhatsApp allows sharing your location with your contacts. If you want to share your location on WhatsApp, just tap on the + icon and now tap the on-location option.
- Emoji, GIF’s, and Stickers Support: WhatsApp offers various stickers, GIF’s and emojis to pimp up your conversations.
- Platforms Availability: WhatsApp is available for almost all platforms. It has dedicated apps for Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Nokia, and Jio Phone.
Disadvantages of WhatsApp
- No Content Censorship: WhatsApp doesn’t have content censorship. Some people share inappropriate information across the network, it may be violent or dangerous content. Without our consent, it reaches our inbox.
- Privacy: Another disadvantage of WhatsApp is its privacy. If anyone knows your number, they can see your profile pic. It reveals how you look with your consent. Some people add your number to groups without asking your permission. It is an annoying problem and you will see a ton of unwanted group messages in your account.
- Upload File Size Limit: WhatsApp has put a limit on the file size while uploading. You can’t upload a file more than 100MB in size.
- No Self-Destruction Option: Many messaging apps are offering the self-destructive messaging option. Apps like Telegram, Line, Snapchat, Dust have this option. WhatsApp doesn’t have this feature. However, there are few methods available to do this manually.
- Data Hogging: If you are in many WhatsApp groups and friends list there are chances of huge data consumption in WhatsApp. The continuous exchange of videos, messages, GIF’s, stickers consume data whether it is cellular data or a Wifi plan. If you are in a metered data network, take care of WhatsApp data usage.
These are the major advantages and disadvantages of WhatsApp. If you know any point which is not on the list, please feel free to share in the comment box below.