TikTok, as we all know, is one of the most popular entertainment platforms in the world. Despite being banned in certain countries including India, it is still used by most of the global population.
For those who don’t know, TikTok is a video-sharing social networking app created by Zhang Yiming under the ByteDance company. The service is used to create short clips of a video where you can publicize the hidden talents to the world. In simple words, Tiktok is like a video version of Twitter. Recently TikTok has surpassed one billion installs on the Google Play store.
TikTok, with its massive user base and popularity, has become a breeding ground for content creators to showcase their talents and garner TikTok likes. The platform’s algorithm-driven nature and engaging features have made it easier than ever for users to gain recognition and appreciation for their videos. With each TikTok like, users receive validation and encouragement, fueling their desire to produce more captivating and entertaining content. This aspect of TikTok’s ecosystem has not only fostered a sense of community and creative expression but has also propelled numerous individuals to fame and success.
It is time to review the advantages and disadvantages of Tiktok.
Advantages of TikTok
- Discovery of talent: There are millions of people all around the globe who do not have a platform to showcase their skills to the outer world. Applications such as TikTok makes it possible for the smaller creators to reach a wider audience much easier. They do not have to spend money on publicity or getting their talent out of their little room. A great thing if you think about it.
- Entertainment: There is no need to mention that TikTok is filled with a lot of talented creators who can entertain you for hours without making you bored. Thousands of videos uploaded to the platform every day provides a consistent flow of fresh content at your fingertips. It can be more entertaining than some movies if you are really into such short clips that make you laugh.
- Make money: TikTok won’t directly pay you any money for uploading videos. However, brands do, if you promote their products or services to your TikTok audience. Apart from that, you can promote yourself and gain publicity on the platform being a popular creator, driving more opportunities for you outside TikTok. So, when used with care, you can earn money with TikTok.
- Anyone can use it: Unlike many other industries, you do not have to be a Starkid, or famous to start using TikTok. As long as you have a smartphone and an Internet connection, you are good to go. Various features provided by the app such as the beautification of the videos make it easier to upload content.
Disadvantages of TikTok
- Misusage of the talent: Despite the fact that there are millions of talented creators who perform well in the app, there are other millions who use it for, let’s say, things that aren’t categorized as “Art.” Just like any other thing, when used for good, anything can be good, but when it is being used for not so good, it can be boring and misleading.
- Time wastage: If you put a limit to the amount of time you are going to spend on any application, it is not going to affect your studies or lifestyle. But a problem with such applications is that they can be addicting sometimes. Even though your inner self tells you to not use it for a while, you can’t resist it. So, always make sure that you put a limit to TikTok, and its fun.
- Health issues: Staring at the screen for several hours isn’t a good thing. Sitting down on the couch without any physical movement isn’t either. So, this isn’t entirely the fault of an app that provides entertainment. But somehow, it is the cause. So, it is your responsibility to make sure that you give rest to your eyes and body while using TikTok for several hours.
- Not so child friendly: Even though it is your responsibility as a parent to prevent your children from using such apps, it can be hard at times. Even if TikTok has policies preventing sensual content from being uploaded to the platform, there are still such videos floating around. So, the app can be trouble sometimes.