Windows 10 usernames allow you to have an identification for your own account especially when multiple people use the same device. It is more than just separating accounts. The usernames are used all over the OS to categorize, perform, and schedule several tasks. So, the username you set during the Windows 10 installation is somewhat important and can be considered as one of the most vital things you set during the setup.
But, not everyone will remember to choose the perfect username. The first time I installed Windows 10, I remember using the username “SONY” which was the brand of my laptop. Sad that they stopped producing laptops.
Anyways, you might also need to know the steps to change the password on your Windows 10 device. Luckily, you can change it almost any time you want, as many times as you want. In this guide, we will go through the easy steps to change it to something else.
Change Windows 10 Local Account Username
If you want to change the username of a local account without a Microsoft online account connected with it, you can follow these steps to change its username.
- Type Control Panel in the search box near Start menu.
- Click on the Control Panel option that shows up.
- Click on the Change account type link under the User Accounts section.
- Click on the account that you want to change the username of.
- Click on the Change the account name link.
- Provide the new account username that you want to apply.
- Finally, click the Change Name button to save the changes.
Change Windows 10 Microsoft Account Name
If you connected your Microsoft account with your Windows 10 PC, follow these steps instead.
- Click on the Start button.
- Click the Gear icon (Settings).
- Go to Accounts.
- Click on the Manage my Microsoft account link
- It may ask you to sign in. Sign in using your Microsoft account credentials.
- It will take you to the Microsoft profile screen.
- Click on the More actions link just under your profile picture.
- Then click the Edit profile option.
- Click on the Edit name link under your current username.
- Now, just change the name to whatever you like.
- Enter the captcha underneath.
- Click the Save button to save the changes.
- Finally, you have to Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
While there are even more ways you can change the username, these two will be enough in most cases. You can try them based on the account type you have on your Windows 10 PC. Good luck.