A proxy server is an intermediate server that provides additional interaction between the system server and clients in computer networks. The link between the user and the Internet plays the role of a kind of intermediary, which is entrusted with the following functions:
- Maintaining confidentiality conditions. Users do not receive detailed information about the sites they visit. Conversely, users can work online anonymously by opening the pages of any resources with access restriction settings.
- Increasing the level of security. The proxy server is the first to encounter DDoS attacks, leveling the negative impact on the operation of the site.
- Speeding up the transfer of requests and access to some Internet resources (due to data caching, files load faster).
- Tracking user information (for example, query statistics).
The principle of operation of the proxy server is based on changing the IP address. Network traffic is first routed to an additional server, where additional security mechanisms can be organized.
Why do I need a proxy server?
An IP address is a unique numeric identifier of a computer device, thanks to which every computer on the network can be monitored. Changing the IP address means increasing the level of privacy and security. The proxy server changes the IP address.
Any server “in the middle” can act as a proxy. That is, it can, for example, perform VPN tasks or play the role of caching.
With the help of a proxy server, you can reliably protect the data posted on the site. This option is widely used by large corporations, which need to prevent unauthorized access of competitors and fraudsters to their own resources. Protection against malicious software is performed by configuring gateways or filters. As a result, the intermediate server does not accept requests coming from malicious resources. One of the important tasks performed by a proxy server is to protect the site from blocking. Step-by-step instructions on how to bypass or prevent the blocking of the site:
- Rent a reliable virtual private server, for example, Hostzealot VPS in Europe.
- Choose a tariff plan and pay for services.
- Get an IP address, login, and password to use the VPS.
The next step is setting up a virtual private server and special software that acts like a DBMS (a set of programs for database management) or a web server.
Features of the proxy server
As part of the operation of any website or application, information is exchanged with users. By requesting information from an Internet resource, a computer device transmits data about the IP address, provider, and its physical location. Based on the information received sites and applications open access to content or block it. A proxy server for private users of Internet resources serves as a tool to bypass any blocking. It replaces the IP address and allows you to work on the network anonymously.
For site owners, a proxy server is needed as additional protection, a barrier to unauthorized access by unwanted users. So some users, when trying to open a site page, receive a message: “Not available for this region.” The proxy server allows you to selectively open content to users who meet the required parameters.
How to create and configure a VPS-based proxy server
The most popular and easy-to-use proxy servers are HTTP or HTTPS. The developers have provided the ability to save the downloaded data and the option to reload information from the cache. As a result, the processing of requests is accelerated and the amount of traffic used is reduced. The HTTPS option has an increased level of security. They are often used to transmit sensitive data such as information about bank cards and passwords when paying on Internet systems. The Sosks proxy server is considered to be the most secure platform. The service runs independently in the background, the launch does not require user participation.
The procedure for using a proxy server is the same as that of a regular program. It is uploaded to a virtual private server, then the operating settings are adjusted. The PuTTY application is being loaded. On the SHH tab, select Tunnels. To set up a VPS-based proxy server, perform the following actions:
- Launch the Terminal program, which provides the relationship between the system and the external environment.
- In the menu that is called with the right button, select the tab “New remote type connection”.
- Select the connection format – SHH.
- Enter the IP address of the virtual private server.
- In the User field, enter the name (root by default).
- Select the Connect option.
- Enter the password.
An alternative option is to install the 3Proxy application. It is convenient to use a ready-made script to install the program. After setting up access rights, the authorization file is edited, which contains the information necessary to complete the identification process and grant access. The next step is to select the “Apply” tab to save the changes and launch the proxy server.
Creating your own proxy server based on VPS
To create and configure a proxy server based on a VPS after selecting and paying for a tariff plan, you can use the console or additional software. The PuTTY application allows you to securely connect to the server via SSH connections. Then select the Session tab and enter the IP address. To use the 3proxy application, you need to download the tgz package from the official resource. Next steps:
- Updating packages from repositories, downloading software.
- Download and install the source files.
- The compilation (translation of a programming language into a machine code system).
- Copying a binary document.
- Adding a new user.
To create a proxy server based on a VPS, you need to download and configure special software. Setting up a VPS to use a proxy server is carried out according to plan – assigning an IP address, installing, and configuring software. An alternative to the simple 3proxy option is the Squid3 utility. The Squid3 application has a powerful potential in the field of traffic distribution. The caching platform is not demanding of network resources. For example, 256 MB of RAM is enough for full operation. Other reasons to choose Squid3:
- Logging option.
- Virus protection.
- Access settings.
- Bandwidth control.
- Encryption of the connection.
The Squid3 application can be installed on a private virtual server of any configuration. The disadvantage is the ability of the proxy server to work only in HTTP format (the Sosks format is not supported).
Creating a proxy will help eliminate the blocking of Internet resources. In case of problems with creating and configuring a proxy server, you can ask for help from professionals.