Microsoft rolled out free upgrades to Windows 10 some time back for all Windows 7 and 8.1 users. This proved to be a lifetime opportunity, and users in huge numbers availed it. This also allowed Microsoft to considerably expand the Windows 10 user base which contributed towards the ever-increasing popularity of this OS.
As an upgraded user to Windows 10, have you faced any troublesome situations which you couldn’t solve? How about the Internet connection speed? A lot of you might have noticed a decrease in the Internet speed on your computer once you upgraded it to Windows 10. This may have occurred due to many reasons.
Let’s have a look at how to avoid these complications.
Recommended: Fix Internet Settings
Problematic Internet settings are also one of the major reasons that can be traced to a slow connection. There are a few quick fixes which when applied, make a whole lot of difference in the Internet speed. Use the Internet Optimizer feature of RegInOut System Utilities to bring about these changes and get the most out of your Internet connection.
Step One: Turn Off Windows Updates
Windows 10 is designed to run the entire show on its own, as far as downloading and installing OS updates is concerned. This feature slows down the Internet connection drastically as it drains the network bandwidth to some extent. Automatic update delivery is enabled by default in both Windows 10 Home and Pro editions.
To resolve this issue, updates should be turned off by the user. In order turn them off, here is what you need to do.
Click the start button and then navigate to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options > CHOOSE HOW UPDATES ARE DELIVERED.
Turn off the updates and you will notice a marked improvement in the Internet’s speed.
Step Two: Disable Limit Reservable Bandwidth
Windows 10 incorporates some interesting features within it that remain well hidden from most of the users unless they stumble upon them by chance. By default, this operating system reserves 80% of the Internet bandwidth for itself and its applications and leaves only 20% for internal use. Turning off the Reservable Bandwidth would boost your Internet connection by leaps and bounds.
Let’s have a look at how to go about disabling this feature.
- Open the Run window by pressing the Win+R keys simultaneously. Type in gpedit.msc and press Enter.
- This action would open the Local Group Policy Editor.
- Now navigate to Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Network | QoS Packet Scheduler | Limit reservable bandwidth.
At this point, you will spot a message that says If you disable this setting or do not configure it, the system uses the default value of 80 percent of the connection.
- Click on Enabled and bring the Bandwidth Limit to 0% from 80% and click OK.
Now you will feel a drastic improvement in the Internet’s speed. And the process was very simple and easy to achieve.
Step Three: Quit Background Apps
Even though you have turned off Windows Updates, the apps running in the background could still drain the bandwidth and result in very slow Internet speed. Quitting background apps takes only a short while and helps a lot. Let’s find out how.
- Click on start, select Settings.
- Select Privacy | Background apps. Now toggle the button to the left (Offb for any apps you don’t want to run.
There you go! The Internet speed must now have been given a huge boost compared to the position it was in a short while ago. Happy browsing.