Sometimes we get SIM Card not detected error on Android phones. We usually get this error when we place new SIM card in the slot. This issue is commonly due to SIM card fitting in the slot. Mostly if the SIM slot not properly inserted we get this error. In these cases, we get irritated while putting the SIM and trying many times to establish a connection. How to fix a sim card that won’t read? If you are tired of this issue, you can fix this issue by following our methods.
1. Basic Solution To Fix Phone can’t detect SIM Card
Let’s start with very simple and basic solution for SIM card not working on Android. It is the reboot, sounds silly? But it actually works in some cases. If you insert a new SIM or old SIM on a smartphone, many smartphones won’t recognize in a first try. It is most probably the software issue which might feel hiccups while detecting a SIM card. In 80% of cases, a simple restart or reboot is enough to fix the unable to detect SIM card issue.
2. Clear Cached Data
Clearing cache can fix any kind of issues on any operating system. Coming to Android, clearing cache and data can fix SIM card issue sometimes. You can clear your Android cache and data to try your luck when your Android unable to detect sim card.
- Open Settings and go to Storage and USB options.
- In the Internal Storage, go to Cached Data.
- Now, all you need to click on ” Cached Data” option.
- Here, click on “Ok” to clear cached data.
3. Check The SIM Tray and SIM Condition
If your phone says no SIM card when there is one, it is the time to check your SIM card tray and SIM conditions twice. In many cases, I found either SIM card or SIM is damaged or in dusty conditions.
If you phone SIM card slot is on the inside of the phone, first you power off your device and clean the dust in slot gently with your finger or soft cloth. Or gently blow the air on the slot to remove soft dust.
On the other side, check your SIM condition. If you regularly switch the phones using your SIM, there is a chance of SIM damage. I recently faced this condition after multiple removing and installation of my SIM card on many mobiles. I noticed some lines on the SIM card which are causing detection and as well as call receiving issues. Try to clean your SIM card with a soft cloth, in most cases, we cant repair the damaged SIM. If your SIM card is too damaged, reapply the new SIM by contacting the service provider nearby you.
If you are using Hybrid SIM slot to place your SIM, then just remove the slot and gently blow the air inside the phone. Now, clean the SIM and place it gently in the slot. In some cases, I found the SIM is not properly facing in the slot. In that case, make sure the SIM is properly fitted in the slot or not by applying small pressure on the slot.
4. Toggle Airplane Mode
Toggling the Airplane mode can solve the SIM not reading issues on Android. Many of my friends tried this method and their phone successfully detected the SIM after turning off/on the Airplane Mode.
- Pull down the notification panel on your Android device.
- Click on Airplane mode to enable the option.
- After 20-30 seconds, now again click on Airplane icon to disable the mode.
Once the Airplane will be off, the phone tries to search the available networks on your phone. In most cases, the device is able to detect the SIM presence and activates the signals.
5. Manually Choose Network Operator
Every Android phone has manual network selection option. If your device is not reading SIM, you can try your luck with choosing the network manually. Follow the below steps for manual network selection.
- Got to Settings and click on SIM & Network.
- Now click on SIM 1 or SIM 2 whichever is not reading the SIM.
- Now click on Network Operator or Mobile Networks.
- Here, make sure to check network automatically is selected. If it is not turned on, turn it no and make an automatic selection.
Note: If the settings are in Automatic mode then change it to manual selection and manually select the network operator.
6. Turn Off And Turn On The Radio
- Open your phone dialer and type *#*#4636#*#*.
- This command will open up a new screen with few options.
- Now click on the option “Phone Information”. Now this action will open a new screen with all phone related information.
- Here is Phone Information page, scroll down and you will see an option named “Turn off radio”. Now click on it.
- Now it will disable the radio connectivity, which means it will disconnect communication signal from your phone.
- Now again after 20-30 seconds of time, click on Turn On Radion option to activate.
- Now restart your phone.
7. Set Network Mode To Auto
Another trick to solve invalid SIM error on your phone is setting up Network Mode to Auto.
- Go to Settings of your Android device.
- Go to More Networks under the Connections options.
- Now tap on Mobile networks.
- Here, tap on Network Mode.
- Now, you will get a pop-up Menu with different network options. Here select the first option LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect).
- By selecting this option the device can automatically connect to the available network.
8. Reset Your Device To Factory Settings
It is our last and final try for fixing SIM issues. This method is not suitable all time, the factory reset option is good only when you are getting Software based issues. Once your device is reset to factory settings, you will lose all the data on your Android device. It is always advisable to backup your data before proceeding to the factory data reset.
- Go to Settings on your device.
- Now scroll down and click on Backup and Restore option.
- After backing up on your Android device now click on Reset Phone.
Once you reset your device, it will reset all the settings and data on your phone. After reboot, place your SIM and check the issue is fixed or not.
These are the fixes for the SIM card not reading issues. If you are still facing SIM not detecting error, then take your device to a mobile repair shop, or if it is under warranty visit the authorized store.
If you fixed the SIM detecting issue using our above-discussed fixes, please let us know which option worked for you. Also, please do share your views in the below comment box.