Even after digitalizing everything, printers are still used by many. To save paper and trees many services are turned into soft copies which are emails, reports and other computer-related services. But still, somethings can’t be changed like copies of our certificates, reports, contract agreements etc are still needed to be printed.
Mac’s are evergreen machines which have robust productivity under simplicity. If you are trying to connect a printer on Mac then you are in right place. Adding a printer to a Mac is a straightforward process. But the only difference is which type of printer connection you are making with macOS. You can connect a printer with Mac via Bluetooth, USB, Wifi and IP address. We have covered every possible printer connection guide in this article.
How to add printers on macOS
1. Using Apple AirPrint Technology
AirPrint technology is developed by Apple lets you print full-quality output without any help of printer drivers. This technology pre-installs all the popular printer drivers into them and it automatically makes a connection with an active printer is connected to the Mac. If your printer is AirPrint enabled, then you can print over Wi-fi, USB and Ethernet connections.
- With a document open on your Mac, go to File -> Print.
- Here in the printer menu, choose the AirPrint printer.
- Once you find the printer, choose and then click Print.
2. Wired connection (USB)
If your printer is not AirPrint technology-enabled, then you have to manually install printer drivers on the Mac. In most cases, it will prompt you to download the necessary printer drivers automatically. If the Mac doesn’t give any hint, then you have to manually download drivers by visiting the printer official product website.
Once you install the correspondent printer drivers on Mac, the printer will visible in the connected printers list. You can connect the printer via USB cable. USB Cable connection is the most common form of connecting printer.
3. Wi-Fi Printer
If you have a Wi-Fi printer then your making connection process is pretty easy. Wi-fi printers work just like normal printers but work wirelessly. You can keep the printer away from your desk at any comfortable location. Also, you can give print command from any device which has Wi-Fi enabled.
To add a new Wi-Fi printer follow the below steps.
- Open System Preferences.
- Select printers and scanner.
- Here, click on + icon to add a new printer.
- Now, a list of available printers working under the same Wi-Fi network will appear.
- Select the printer from the list and click add. Here, you will be prompted to download new software and install it.
To print a document using Wi-Fi printer, follow the below steps.
- With a document open on Mac, go to File -> Print.
- Click on the printer.
- Now select the nearby Printers & Scanner preferences.
- Select your printer.
4. Using the IP address
You can add the printer from your network using an IP address. To add a printer via IP address then the printer must support the protocols like Internet Printing Protocol (IIP), AirPrint, Line Printer Daemon (LPD), or HP Jetdirect (Socket).
To connect the printer you must know the IP address of your network printer, printer model number and the printing protocol.
To add an IP address of the printer, follow these steps.
- Open the Apple menu.
- Select System Preferences.
- Click Printers & Scanners.
- Click Add (+) from the printer list.
- Select IP
- Enter the printer information such as IP address, protocol, queue, and name for your printer, the printer’s location for identification, and then click on Use.
5. Using Bluetooth
If you are using Bluetooth connection to make contact with a printer, follow the below steps.
- Pair your printer with your Mac by choosing “Apple menu -> System Preferences -> click Bluetooth.”
- Select the device from the list and click “Pair.”
- Click Accept if prompted on the device.
- Add the printer by choosing “Apple menu -> System Preferences -> click Printers & Scanners.”
- Click Add (+).
- Here, click Default.
- Choose the printer from the Printers list.
- Now click Add to connect the printer.
These are the ways to connect a printer to a macOS. Each method is easy if you have all the requirements in hand. If you are planning to purchase a new printer, consider buying AirPrint enabled printer for making easy connections.