The best and easiest way to use a VPN service on your mobile phone is to download the app. However, it is also possible to use a VPN without installing the app on your phone. Most Android phones have settings that support VPN and allow you to install it without an app.
The steps involved in activating these services are simple and straightforward. However, it doesn’t work on every VPN. For instance, you can’t access all the features of ExpressVPN without the app, you will only get L2LTP protocol. In this article, we will only be looking at VPN services you can set up and enjoy without installing the app.
Setting up your VPN in the Android Settings.
As mentioned earlier, it is very easy to set up your VPN. The only information you need is your server address, username, and password. These details are available on your VPN provider dashboard. If you’re using a private VPN, you’ll have to contact your network administrator to get them. Before starting, you should also know the right protocol to go for.
After getting the required information. You can begin the process.
- Go to Settings on your phone.
- Choose the Wireless & networks settings.
- Tap More to display the VPN option.
- Click on the VPN option.
- Click on the + Button.
- Insert all the information you’ve gathered above in the spaces provided.
- Choose your desired protocol.
- Hit Save.
That’s the general way to activate a VPN on your phone without downloading an app.
How to Set Up Popular VPN Services without Installing An App
Here, we’ve also included the step-by-step processes to connect our top 3 VPN services to your phone without an app.
ExpressVPN is one of our best VPN services for streaming restricted content and accessing geo-blocked areas. It has over 2,000 servers in various countries worldwide and uses 256-bit encryption, an automatic kill switch, and a DNS/IPv6 leak protection to keep your data secure.
How to Install ExpressVPN Without An App on Your Android Phone
- Register an account on ExpressVPN and subscribe to one of their plans.
- Login to your account at ExpressVPN to access your dashboard.
- Click on My Account.
- Click on Set up on More Devices.
- Click Manual Config.
- Select PPTP & L2TP-IPsec. (Selecting OpenVPN would require you to download and install the OpenVPN app on your device. That’s what we’re trying to avoid).
- Copy and paste the username and password on your app (on your PC).
- Select the region of the world you want to connect with to open the server address.
- Copy the server address and paste it in the appropriate field on your phone (the settings explained above).
- Input 12345678 for the IPsec pre-shared key.
- Click save and enjoy your connection.
CyberGhost VPN is also a major VPN service with over 2,852 servers across various countries. With CyberGhost VPN, you can be sure that your data is safe because it enforces a zero log policy. Nothing you input is ever stored on their server. It also uses DNS and IP leak protection and an automatic kill switch to keep you protected.
How to Install CyberGhost VPN Without An App on Your Android Phone
- Get a subscription plan to access the CyberGhost VPN service.
- Login to your account on your PC using your username and password.
- On your account, click on My Devices.
- Click on Add a New Device.
- Select Other.
- Click on Create New Credentials.
- Scroll up and click on Other again.
- Name your device and select your preferred options. You can turn the others off.
- Scroll down to see your login credentials.
- Open your VPN settings on your phone using the above instructions.
- Insert all the required information:
- Name: Use any name you will easily remember.
- Select the L2TP IPsec PSK protocol.
- Copy the server address from your account into the appropriate field on your phone.
- Use CyberGhost as the IPsec pre-shared key.
- Insert your Username and Password as shown on your dashboard. (It is different from your normal Cyberghost account login credentials).
- Click Save.
3. Private VPN
Private VPN is regarded as a small VPN service, but it offers great features even for its size. It has over 100 servers in 56 countries, but maintains lightning speed and ensures you enjoy your streaming or gaming without any lagging. It uses a 2048-bit AES protection, IPv6-leak protection, and zero data logging policy to keep your data safe.
Unlike ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN, this one is easier to configure on your phone without the app. You can log in directly in the settings area with your normal username and password. You don’t need to get a fresh one from your account.
How to Install Private VPN Without An App on Your Android Phone
- Follow the steps given above to access your phone’s VPN settings.
- Name your connection PrivateVPN L2TP.
- Choose L2TP/IP Sec PSK as your connection type.
- Choose from the Server list and paste the server address you want in the field.
- Use privatevpn as the IPsec pre-shared key.
- Insert the username and password you use to log into your PrivateVPN account – the one you received after creating the account.
- Click connect.
You can test PrivateVPN to see if you like it for the first 30 days. If you don’t, you get back your full registration fee.
Many people don’t see the need to use a VPN service on their android phones, but it is very important. When you’re outdoors, VPN encrypts your data and prevents hackers from getting valuable information. You also gain access to whatever content you want from any location around the world without any restrictions.
Of the three VPN services listed above, we highly recommend ExpressVPN as the best even though they all have great features. With ExpressVPN, you get multi-layered encryption and no one can access your data.