Do you want to perform a factory reset on your Android device but don’t know how to keep your precious data safe? Whether you want to wipe the data clean from your old phone or eliminate a malicious file, doing a factory reset is the best option. But if you don’t know how to backup your phone’s data, it might mean a permanent loss of your important files from your phone. Therefore, in this article, we are going to show you how to recover data after doing a factory reset on your Android device.
Why Should You Factory Reset Your Android Phone?
Before we go into the details about the ways to recover data after factory resetting your Android phone, you need to understand the importance of the factory reset function. Here are some situations when you should perform a factory reset on your smartphone:
To Get Rid of the Data You Don’t Need
Normally, our phone’s internal storage is often filled with many files and data that we no longer need. However, since we rarely focus on such files, these unnecessary files eventually take a large share of space in our phones, pushing the internal storage space to its limits.
A simple factory reset will help you delete all the unnecessary data at once, saving you from the long hours of continuous searching and deleting needless files one by one.
All you have to do is backup your important files before performing the factory reset to keep your important data safe.
On the other hand, if you want to sell your old phone or simply want to erase all of its data, performing a factory reset is the best solution. This way, you can make sure that your old phone doesn’t have any of your previous data. As a result, you will never suffer from data misuse after selling your old phone to others.
To Erase Harmful Files from Your Phone
Have your phone got infected with malicious virus, malware, or infectious files but you have no idea where it is located? If your answer is yes, then the best way to remove such harmful files from your Android phone is to perform a factory reset. The reset function will wipe your phone’s data clean, including the harmful files, returning your phone to its original setting.
How to Recover Data after Doing Factory Reset on Android?
In the previous section, we have mentioned the instances when it’s important to perform a factory reset on your Android phone. Now, in this section, we will show you three effective ways to recover data after you perform the factory reset. Here we go.
Use Local Backup to Recover Data after Doing Factory Reset in Android
Most Android smartphones from reputable brands have a built-in backup feature. So, if you use this embedded feature to backup your data before performing a factory reset, it will keep your backup data safe, even after the resetting process is complete. And then, you can recover the data you have backed up using it. Here’s how it works:
Step 1: Backing up Your Data
To backup your phone’s data using this built-in backup feature, follow the steps below:
- First, open the “Settings” app on your phone.
- Next, scroll down, find the “Backup and Restore” option, and tap on it.
- Now, click on “Backup options” to enable it and follow its intuitive guideline afterward to backup your phone’s data.
Please Note: Once you create the backup file using the steps above, you need to transfer the backup file either to an SD card or any other storage device before performing the factory reset on your phone. After you’re done resetting your phone, transfer the file back to your phone before performing the following recovery process.
Step 2: Recovering Your Data after Factory Reset
Once the factory reset process is complete, go through the following steps to restore the data you have previously backup up:
- Once again, open the “Settings” app on your phone and tap on the “Backup and Restore” option.
- Next, tap on the “Restore” option.
- After that, choose the backup file you have created previously and click on the “Restore” button again. Your backup data will be restored to your Android phone in a few moments.
Recover Data from Google Account after Performing Factory Reset on Android
Your Android phone doesn’t have a built-in backup feature embedded into it? No problem. You can always use the Google account synced with your device to backup your phone’s data in Google Drive and restore it later.
Step 1: Backing up Your Data
First, you need to backup your phone’s data in your Google account using the steps below:
- Open the “Settings” app on your phone, find the “Google” option, and then tap on it.
- After that, tap on the “Backup” option.
- Toggle on the “Back up to Google Drive” option and then tap on the “Back up now” button to start the backup process in your chosen Google account.
Step 2: Restoring Your Data
Now, once you’re done factory resetting your smartphone, set up your Google account in your Android device again. After that, follow the steps below:
- Go to “Settings” and open the “Google” option.
- When you’re done setting up your Google account on your phone again, you will see a new “Restore” option. Now, tap on it.
- Next, tap on your “Device name.”
- After that, select which data you would like to restore. If you want to restore everything, select “Restore all.”
- Now, tap on the “Restore” option again and the recovering process will start.
Use Professional Android Data Recovery Software
Did you miss the backup part and accidentally performed a factory reset without backing up your data separately? In this case, the data from your phone will be permanently deleted. And the only method to get your data back is to use professional data recovery software from a reputed company.
Install a professional Android data restoration application of choice on your computer and follow the steps below to restore your data:
- Connect your Android phone with your computer using a USB cable. Now, after enabling the “USB Debugging” on your phone, it will appear in the data recovery application’s user interface.
- Next, select the types of files you would like to recover. If you want to recover every single file, tick the “Select all” box.
- After that, click on the “Scan/ Next” option to start the scanning process. The full scan will take a few minutes so please be patient.
- Once the scan is complete, you can review all the recoverable files and data. Select every file that you want to restore and click on the “Recover” option.