Microsoft has made an announcement today that the company is launching its own News application. This latest application from Microsoft is called Microsoft News. Also, Microsoft News has been launched on iOS and Android at the same time as well. As far as Microsoft News is concerned, it is a direct competitor to Apple News and Google News. Microsoft is pitching Microsoft News to its potential users as a way to “keep you informed in an easily accessible, compressive, and trustworthy way.”
As far as Apple News is concerned, we have known that Apple has announced several new features to its app at WWDC. Also, Google News has just got a major revamp at the Google I/O as well. Currently, the most popular app among the three is arguably the Google News app. However, iOS users would feel that the Apple News app is better. Coming back to Microsoft News, we have known that Microsoft already had MSN which was its News website earlier. Thus, Microsoft News is a rebranded version of MSN and the old MSN app has got an update to change it to Microsoft News. Same as Google News, Microsoft News also lets you subscribe to topics so that you can get information about the subscribed topics.
Features of Microsoft News:
- New personalization upgrades, including the ability to tailor interests to follow in your news feed – such as World News, Personal Finance, Fitness and many more – and to roam interests across devices and local news options for top cities
- Easy to configure breaking news alerts
- A new dark theme, enabling better night reading
- Simplified access through seamless integration with iOS and Android widgets
- Continuous reading, for a smooth content experience
Google News for iOS was just launched last month. Thus, the announcement of Microsoft News is the company’s way to get the iOS customers to their app as well before they get accustomed to Google’s or Apple’s offerings.