Organize your media with the Plex Media Server: Plex is a media server application for Windows.It, allows the user to manage and play video, photos, music, and podcasts from a local or remote computer running Plex Media Server.
When you want to stream your music and movies from one computer to another computer across the house, or to your phone or tablet plex fulfill your need.
Minimum system requirements for Plex:
• Windows XP SP3, Vista, or Windows 7
• Flash and Silverlight video requires Windows Vista or Windows 7
• Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics card
• An Intel Core 2 Duo processor or equivalent
• At least 2GB of RAM, 4GB recommended
To play Flash and Silverlight video, you will need to install the plug-ins on your computer before running the Plex Media Server. Install the Flash version from here and make sure you select the “Other Browser” version.
Setting Up and Managing Your Media Library:
- After successful installation, you should see a little Plex icon in your toolbar.
- Right click on the icon should bring up a list of options and select “Media Manager.” This will launch the Plex Media Manager in your default web browser via port 32400.
- At this point, you can go ahead and start adding your media library, but first, let’s take a look at the various settings available via the “Preferences” link at the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- The first option is “General”. Here you can choose a custom name for your PMS which is what will appear on any device that connects to PMS.
- Next up is “Library” which allows you to set specific options such as how often PMS should update its library.
- If you are a 3G user, the “Trans-coding” section will give you the option to allow PMS to offer higher bit rates when transcoding over 3G.
- There is a feature called “myPlex” which allows you to tie in PMS with all your Plex clients. You can sign up for a myPlex account here.
- With the preferences set it is time to add our media library. Back on the Plex Media Manager screen simply click the specific media you are looking to add under the “Add Media To Your Library” section. A popup box should appear where you can point PMS to your media location.
- It will take some time gather your media library depending on your size of your library.
Now that your Plex library is set up with PMS, the final step is to have a client which will connect to PMS for viewing. Currently, the choices are as follows:
Plex on your Desktop (i.e. HTPC)
Plex for mobile devices (iOS and Android)
Plex for connected devices (2011 and 2012 LG Smart TVs, Google TV, and Roku).