Disabling automatic Updates in Ubuntu may not be familiar to you as you are not that much expert in that. Having the latest updates of the OS is a necessity to stay updated with the latest security patches and improvements to the OS. But, at a time where the automatic updates consume a considerable amount of the limited internet data, it’s a must to disable automatic updates in ubuntu. Nevertheless to say that, Ubuntu is one of the widely used OS with lot of features and functionalities which are implemented in a safer and secure way than other operating systems all around the globe. But, at a point you feel the automatic updates are a problem, it is a must to disable automatic updates in ubuntu.
If you’ve decided the same and want to get rid of this, we have the solution for you. Follow the simple steps given below to get rid of the automatic updates in ubuntu.
Note: The steps given in this article are tested on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. It will also work fine on most of the other version of the OS.
Steps to Disable Automatic Updates in Ubuntu
To disable automatic updates in ubuntu, there are very few steps which can be done within 1 or 2 minutes. Follow the simple steps given below to get the desired results.
- Open the Unity Dash and search for “Software & Updates.” and click on it.
- It will bring the Software & Updates windows where you could manage update related configurations.
- Navigate to the Updates tab.
- You will see a label namely Automatically check for updates with options including Daily, Every two days, Weekly, Every two weeks, and Never.
- Change the value to Never to completely disable the automatic updates. If you prefer other options, of course you can do that.
Now, you have disabled the automatic updates in ubuntu. Your system will never again eat your internet data without your permission. But, keep in mind that disabling updates will stop your OS from having the latest security features and bug fixes. At any moment you have sufficient internet, manually check for updates and install the latest releases. If you got a stable connection without any data usage worries, you could also turn on the automatic updates by following the same steps given above and changing the values back to Daily.