Often we have to face issues while connecting USB devices to our PCs. This gets really annoying as we can’t access our files which are saved in USB devices in such situations. But do you know that you can fix this problem on your own? Yes, you can do that easily. To help you in this we are going to tell you how to fix USB ports not working in windows 10.
Solutions to fix USB ports not working in windows 10
There are several problems relating to USB ports not working. Here we are listing some solutions to the problem of ‘USB ports not working in windows 10’. These solutions are most likely to work in all cases-
1. Check your USB device
Many times it happens that fault is with our USB device but we blame or PC and its ports. That may be the case with you too. Thus, it is important to know that which of your device is exactly at fault. To know that, remove your USB device from your PC and plug it into another USB port of your PC. If the problem persists with other ports also try plugging it to another PC. If still, you get the same problem, then your device might have fault consider changing your device or get it fixed. If your USB device is working with other PC then you should move to other solutions given in the list.
2. Reinstall drivers
One of the reasons behind this problem may be your outdated drivers. You should reinstall your drivers to solve this problem. You can do this by following these steps-
- First, you would need to download the latest drivers of your USB device.
- Press windows key + X.
- You will get a list of options, choose device manager from it.
- In the driver’s list right click on you your device’s driver.
- Click on uninstall to remove it.
- Restart your PC.
3. Automatically Update your drivers
We know, not everyone is skilled at a computer and that’s why cannot do the reinstalling process. Also, There may be cases where the above-mentioned method won’t work, in this case, you can use a driver updater. You can find them on the internet. Some of them are free and some are with the paid version. Choose as per your preference and download it in your PC. After downloading, open driver updater. It will scan your PC and will tell you what updates your PC needs. Just click on update button for your device’s driver and get your drivers updated.
4. Change power management settings
You can also solve this problem by changing the power management settings of your USB controller. Follow these steps to change it-
- Open your PC’s device manager and click on the universal serial bus to expand it.
- Right Click on the driver’s universal serial hub and click on the properties from the options.
- Now click on universal serial bus controller tab and check whether the option ‘allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’ is unchecked or not. If it is enabled, untick it and click on OK to save.
- Do this to all universal root hub of each driver.
- Restart your computer.
5. Remove your laptop’s battery
This may sound weird but this solution works in many cases. Remove your laptop’s battery after turning it off and insert it after sometime. You can also leave it overnight without battery. When you would restart your laptop, it will solve your problem with USB ports.
6. Uninstall USB controller
Reinstalling USB controllers can solve your problem of USB ports not working in windows 10. You can uninstall it with these steps-
- Go to your device manager.
- Expand the universal bus controller.
- Click on your device’s universal serial bus and uninstall it.
- Restart your PC now.
These were some of the solutions for the error USB ports not working in windows 10. Hope you have found your solution now.